Hello Texas-Mexico Chapter!
I have a few things I'd like to report from the executive board's mid-year meeting, held in Houston on Sept 29 and 30, 2011. Our meeting took place at the MFAH, and Jon Evans kindly arranged for one of the curators to give us a talk about her exhibition on " Life & Luxury: The Art of Living in Eighteenth-Century Paris." Several of us took some time to tour the Menil Collection as well. The whole experience reminded me of the best kind of chapter meeting, where I could socialize with colleagues, see wonderful art, and get some work done.
In terms of work, the Toronto planning committee has been busily putting together the conference schedule and finding the best venues for events. There will be tours and workshops and the Welcome Party on Friday; programs, exhibits, meetings and Convocation/Reception on Saturday; programs, exhibits, meetings and the Membership lunch on Sunday; and tours on Monday. I hope that many of you are able to attend, because it is shaping up to be a fabulous conference.
At our meeting, Tom Riedel brought forward several special funding requests for discussion, and all were approved. He then presented the 2012 budget in detail, and explained the financial implications of our new agreement with the University of Chicago Press for the publication of Art Documentation. The board thanked Tom for his efforts and the budget was approved.
Jon Evans updated us on the progress of our strategic plan, which is moving to an action plan phase. A couple of members have finished their service on the group, and so the group is looking to add new members.
At the invitation of Jon Evans, the following individuals have generously agreed to serve as members of the new editorial board for Art Documentation:
• Judy Dyki, Editor, Art Documentation (ex officio)
• Susan M. Allen, Director, California Rare Book School, UCLA Department of Information Studies, Los Angeles, CA
• Jonathan Brown, Carroll and Milton Petrie Professor of Fine Arts, Institute of Fine Arts, New York University, New York, NY
• Clive Phillpot, Fermley Press, London, UK
• Inge Reist, Chief of Research Collections and Programs, Frick Art Reference Library, New York, NY
• Lucile Trunel, Chef du secteur Art, Service Littératures orientales et art, Département de Littérature et Art, Direction des Collections, Bibliothèque nationale de France, Paris, France
• Jayne Wark, Professor of Historical and Critical Studies, Nova Scotia College of Art & Design, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
• Roxana Velasquez, Executive Director of the San Diego Museum of Art, San Diego, CA
I think that moving to the University of Chicago Press and creating an editorial board will prove to be extremely positive steps for Art Doc.
That's all for now! Feel free to contact me at email@example.com if you have any questions.
ARLIS/NA Chapters Liaison
Fine Arts Librarian
San Diego State University